
This is my wedding ring. We were very unorthodox in our selection of our rings. Why you ask?? Well, did you ever hear that song from the 60's? Who wants to buy this diamond ring? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZSlhs0_bRY&feature=PlayList&p=7968898CC7BEAAB3&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=18That basically sums up our story, except that we were on the receiving end, not the people breaking up.
So yes, I am wearing another woman's wedding ring. Aaron knew a guy at LDSBC that wanted to sell his engagement ring after his fiancee broke off the wedding. We got it for way cheaper than it would have cost and it has been great for us.
But back to my story...He showed it to me in April of 2001 when I came to visit him at school for Easter. I put it on even though it was a tight fit. I was going to MAKE it fit. The problem? Now it was stuck. I panicked... No matter what I did, I couldn't get it off. Soap? no. Lotion? nope. Water combined with those? No doing. Butter? Didn't work either. More dish detergent? Didn't work. I was really starting to worry about it, since Aaron only brought it to show me, he hadn't paid for it yet. He had to take it back to the guy and I had to take a flight back to Portland that night!
I was really really starting to worry. That afternoon when we got home from church we had an Easter dinner with the family. My Grandma Iris was there and I told her about my dilemma. She looked at it and said- Oh, Windex will take that off. I thought, "Yeah, right. I've been trying all morning with soaps and lotion... even butter, what on earth does she think she's talking about. Old people.. think they know everything." I swear I thought this in my head. I ignored her.
I went about trying more soap pulling on the ring and was only successful in making my finger very red. She came by again and said, "Becky, you have got to try the Windex." I internally rolled my eyes and thought, "Okay, if it will make her be quiet about it, I'll humor her." Followed by another internal eye roll.
I sprayed it on. See? It didn't work. Hah! Oh, wait. Yeah... It's sliding off now. Wow. Grandma really is smart. Sheesh, I feel really stupid. So Grandma Iris, thank you for that bit of wisdom. It helped me out this morning.
Mercedes was doing the dishes this morning and when she unloads the dishwasher she likes to take her time. She finds the need to examine all the cracks and crevices of every utensil and dish that we own. I call her my little sloth because it is so agonizing to watch her put stuff away. I can do it in 2 minutes and it takes her 45 minutes. So this morning I let her take her time and went off to go do some other things so I wouldn't be driven crazy watching her.
I then heard her call for me. "Mom! I have a really big problem!!". I enter the kitchen to find that she has taken one of my couplers (which is the plastic piece that you insert into a decorating bag so you can exchange tips while you decorate) and has jammed it onto her finger.
Lucky girl. I looked at and she said, "I can't get it off no matter how hard I try and it's really starting to hurt". I smiled and got under the kitchen sink to pull out the Windex. She got really nervous and begged me to "please not cut off her finger". LOL, as if I could do that! I smiled and said that I just needed to spray the piece. After spraying it slipped right off. She was really surprised and wanted to know what that stuff was called. I thought of Grandma and replied.. It's Windex.
So, just in case you or your children ever get a body part stuck in a tight spot and can't remove it, grab your Windex.

6 comments:
That's great!
I'll keep that mind... never could have come up with that one on my own though.
HA! Love it! Fabulous stories! I will definitely be putting that knowledge to use sometime. Eleanor has already put things too small on her finger. Luckily it wasn't too hard to get off. But now in the future I will not panic, I'll know.
It almost makes you want to go stick something on your finger that's too small just so you can try it. :)
That is a great story, and yet another use for Windex! Thanks for sharing!
WOW, that is good to know. Thanks for sharing! I have so enjoyed reading your posts. They make me smile! Seems it's been a really long time since I've been here.
Post a Comment