Benji fell down the stairs a few days ago. He has his mother's grace... or lack thereof.
I am notorious for falling up the stairs or walking into the wall.
He only fell down 3 or 4 stairs before he caught himself. I was a few feet behind him and watched it all in what seemed a blend of horror and slow motion.
As I said, he caught himself, and screamed and cried for about 10 minutes. It was around lunch time so I asked him if he wanted to eat. He told me no, and that he wanted to go to bed.
When he landed he had stopped on the stairs by plowing into the step with his face. It looked like he had a little rug burn under his lip, but nothing was bleeding.
He went to sleep and when he woke up he was hungry. When I offered him something to eat he started crying again saying that his mouth hurt. When I looked a little closer he showed me that one of his top front teeth was sore and upon further examination I found it was a bit wiggly and seemed to be pushed back a little. Aaron says it's always been that way but I'm not convinced.
I called his doctor but she was with a patient (he's never been to a dentist... I've been told they won't see him til he's 3) and then I remembered that Ruston (my sis-in-law's hubby) is a dentist. How fortunate! Gotta love having doctor's in the fam, right?
So, in the end, the advice given by his doctor (when she did call back) and by Ruston was pretty much the same. Wait and see what happens. If the tooth discolors it could be dead, but baby teeth are pretty resilient and hopefully it will all be okay.
But the mom in me worries. It's been a few days and he still cries when eating anything hard. I've been teaching him to take bites using the side of his mouth to give it time to heal up. He did hit the stairs pretty hard.
Maybe it's all paybacks for that time I taught my sister Karen how to "crawl" down the stairs and knocked her unconscious. Twice.
3 comments:
Oh no, poor little Benji. I'm sure you'll be keeping an eagle eye on that tooth.
You knocked her unconscious twice? lol!!
I love your background ;)
You knocked Karen unconcious? Where was I? How long was she out? Wow. You and your childhood. Who raised you anyway? lol
On that note about Karen... We were living in VA. I was trying to teach her how to go down the stairs. I figured if I taught her how to crawl down (backwards - so she was facing the top of the stairs) it would be easier on Mom. GOod intentions, right?
I was about 4 or 5.
So, yeah, there I was, teaching her how to crawl, and poof! all of the sudden she was gone.
Thump, thump, thump, down the stairs. She hit the floor pretty hard. Well, and all of those wooden stairs on the way down.
Mom had to call the paramedics. She sent me to my room. I did it all again the next day. I was sure she wouldn't fall the second time around.
Whoops.
So, I had this fear of firemen for the longest time. I realized I had done something bad and I thought they would throw me in a fire since I had been bad.
Post a Comment