Saturday, March 7, 2009

Confessions and feelings of inadequacy

While eating dinner last night, Mercedes looked at me and asked, "Do you promise not to get mad?"

I asked, "About what?"

She then went on to say that she watched a movie at school that day.

I asked her what movie she watched that had her so upset. She said it was the one with the things and they had that thing on them and it was yellow and the others were mad.

Confused?

So were Aaron and I.



Then I thought about it for a moment. I remembered what her class had been focusing on that week (Dr. Seuss) and I said, "Oh, were you watching the movie about the Star-bellied Sneetches?"

Yes!! Yes she yells. Then she apologizes for watching it because one of the sneetches said "stupid" when he was talking about the other sneetches and was feeling jealous.

I have yet to tell her that there are other words far worse than "stupid".



During this exchange Aaron sat with his jaw dropped. He looked at me and told me he was just going to go jump off the roof.

Why? I asked.

He said if I could figure out what she was talking about from that brief and unspecific phrase that there was obviously no use for him anymore since he had no clue what she was talking about nor how I came to that conclusion.

Poor Aaron.



Moms rule. :)

2 comments:

Candace said...

Maybe - just maybe - Aaron needs to add Dr. Seuess 101 to his studies....

Britt-Marie said...

Haha Yes, it's all about context and mom's are just around more so they can get it. (Not that I'm say it was any less impressing that you figured that out.)

Followers