I worked late last night. I got home just before midnight and was up talking to Aaron for awhile. I somehow managed to get him to agree to get Mercedes ready for school before we fell asleep. I vaguely remember laying in my bed this morning listening to him getting her ready. I could hear them talking about pants and shoes and him telling her to brush her hair.
These are normally my jobs. I make sure my daughter looks normal and doesn't wear one of her "outfits" which really could include ANYTHING in her dress up box to kindergarten.
I rolled out of the bed minutes before they walked out the door. To my horror she was definitely wearing a non-Mom-approved outfit. Aaron was oblivious of course. Dads are to that sort of thing.
She was wearing an old pair of light pink sweatpants that are stained all over the bum due to her sliding down a muddy hill in them. They are also about 2 inches too short. Her shirt was a hot pink t-shirt that is also too small. She wore bright blue socks that have Hannah Montana written all over them (Hanna-mut-anna as she calls it) and a red headband to top it off.
I looked at this concotion and thought... No. This is not going out the door.
But it was too late. She needed to leave. And so, with a resigned sigh (to myself) I kissed her goodbye and waved to her as she left for school.
As I was cleaning up the dining room I found her papers from school yesterday. Inside was a note from her teacher asking that the children wear crazy clothes today (mismatched, inside out, backwards, etc...) as they are celebrating Dr. Suess' birthday.
All I could think - was AWESOME!
She looks like little Orphan Annie because I was too lazy to get out of bed and it actually happened on a day that she was supposed to look that way, without me even knowing. Am I good, or am I good?
2 comments:
It really does help to read the homework papers they bring home. :) What a funny story.
That's very good. I was afraid you were going to find out it was picture day or something.
Post a Comment