Monday, September 21, 2009

Swine Flu


No, I didn't make this cake... but it fits my post today.

I'm just curious... if you found out that your child's school has had multiple (by multiple I mean 4) cases of confirmed Swine Flu, would you take your child out of school?

How many is too many? And why hasn't the school formally told the parents? My friend was told by her sons teacher and she "wasn't supposed to say anything".

Thoughts??

6 comments:

Candace said...

Hmmmmmmm. That's a tough one. Seeing's how your pregnant - it will bear impact on your decision. Are the swine flu kids in her class directly? Maybe get a few weeks lessons from the teacher and work with her at home? Although - it is the beginning "flu" season everywhere. If it was me and my kid - I would keep her in school and watch for the symptoms. That's pretty much all you can do besides homeschool. (Which I don't have the patience for.) I would however - talk to the teacher/principle. Let her/them know that as a parent you have a right to know these things. It doesn't just affect your daughter or the classroom. It affects your whole family and your unborn child. And I wouldn't be very nice about either.

Candace said...

I guess I need spell check. It's not principle. But Principal. lol

Britt-Marie said...

Yikes! That is crazy that they didn't tell you. I don't know. It's so hard to keep kids from spreading stuff. Find out more about who is sick and how bad it is. Has is spread more, are they keeping an eye out in classes for symptoms, are those kids that are sick being made to stay home. I don't know. I guess I don't have much help for you.

Karen said...

Our head cook at the swine flu, and she was not allowed to come to work for a week (until the fever went away)... If it were me and I was pregnant, I wouldn't allow my child to go to school and risk the chance of her #1.Getting the swine flu, #2. Giving it to me or #3. Giving it to her other siblings or family members. I don't know if it matters if the swine flu kids are in her class or not, kids spread a ton of germs and they are out playing with each other, on the same playground equipment, using the same bathrooms, etc. As much of a pain as it would be I'm sure, I would rather keep her home until the other piggy flu kiddies were over thier oinkiness

Anonymous said...

Swine flu isn't any worse than a normal flu, it's just really contagious. I'm recently recovering from it myself, after a bunch of my friends all got it in one weekend (including one who is pregnant and one who has asthma) and everyone was basically fine after 3 or 4 days. No one wants to get the flu, but you'd probably have to keep Mercedes out of school for months and months to avoid any exposure. I say keep her in school and just really emphasize hand washing and keeping her hands away from her face.

Rob and Marseille said...

I agree with Kelly. Rob was exposed to the swine flu at work (the MTC), in June, when I was 36wks along. Both of us felt not ourselves, so we slept alot more and took it easy. My doctor said to call her if I had a high fever. I never took my temperature, but I didn't feel like I had a fever, just other flu-like symptoms. I was glad though, that Michael was still in me and not a newborn...that might have been a different story.(I might have put Rob in isolation or had him stay home from work at the first outbreak).

Followers