Sunday, September 20, 2009

A Potato Drill

Mercedes has been thoroughly enjoying first grade. She came home last week to tell me she had a secret.
Her secret was that her class had practiced a fire drill. She thought it was fun to line up and go outside (they even had firetrucks show up) and wait until they could all return to their respective classrooms.
Well, the other day, she came home and told me they practiced a potato drill. Having never heard of something like this I asked her what they did.
She said they all lined up and went in the hall and tucked themselves into little balls. I stared at her while she demonstrated on the kitchen floor. I sat there wondering, what is she doing?? Is she practicing being in the shape of a potato? Why would the class drill something like that?
Still curious, I asked why she had to go into the hall to roll up in a ball? Why not in the classroom? She told me it was because the potato might come through the window and get them.




(Insert me thinking)





Ohhhhhh. A TORNADO drill. I see now. Tornadoes don't happen on the west coast where I grew up, so I would have no idea what a tornado drill was.
Mercedes has gotten the words potato and tomato confused before (constantly actually) and I'm not surprised that tornado got thrown into the mix as well.

4 comments:

Candace said...

That is REALLY funny! At least for now. It's good to have practices like that in case she isn't home during one. Love the word mix ups. :)

Becky said...

Good for her! I was in a real tornado when I was in 6th grade and we had to finally use the "tornado drill" moves....saved our lives though! The classroom windows broke but we were in the hall where there was no glass....a lot of cars were flipped also....crazy!

Britt-Marie said...

haha That's great. It took me a minute too.

Rob and Marseille said...

that's funny! At first I was thinking earthquake drill, but why wouldn't they just get under their desks?

Followers