Sunday, December 14, 2008

Spider Man, Spider Man...

Ahhh. A child like me. Daring, hanging off things they shouldn't... testing the limits. I know I would have done this as a child if my bed had offered this many railings on it. Instead mine had 3 thin metal bars stretching across the bottom of the mattress with nasty little hooks on the ends. Got my head split open on one of those once... but that is another story.
My children love to hang on things. Door handles, cupboards, off counters (we have an area for barstools where the counter hangs over - great for this activity). None of this was taught nor is it encouraged. It just happens.
Here is Benji hanging from the underside of the top bunk (we have no mattress for it yet) and the picture of Mercedes is when she was wailing.
My daughter? Wail? Why yes, she does. She sounds like an air raid siren going off. I wish my video camera worked. It reminds me of when I would visit my mom in the summers. She lived in Neah Bay, WA, on the Indian Reservation. Every day at noon the firestation would set the alarm off to announce that it was noon. You could hear it from really far away. That is what it sounds like when Mercedes starts to cry. Except it is right next to you usually. What brought this on you ask? She was hanging like Benji on the underside of the bed and she let go. She proceeded to land on a toy bird that had large hard plastic feet which were not forgiving when her little hiney landed on them. Thus, I heard Oh owwww. That huuuuuuuurt! Then, (wait for it)wwwwwwwWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Just like that. Loud as you can.
So anyways, it's nice to know that my kids are similar to me. Like to do things I would have done. Aaron says that his genes and mine are fighting within our children. I went to the ER dozens of times (I'm a little accident prone) and he to this day has still never been once. No broken bones or anything for him... plenty from me though. :)



2 comments:

Candace said...

I remember when your head got split from the hooks on the underside of my mattress....that was not a happy day...

Sherril Salts Dysart said...

Things like that are hard to forget! I had to say that Mercedes looks like her mother in that picture when her mother split her head open on the hook under the bunk bed. That was a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day!!!

Followers