Monday, October 6, 2008

Kindergarten!

Mercedes has finally gotten to kindergarten! She is so excited. Prior to going she expressed a lot of concern about not being able to read just yet. I explained to her that she is going to school to learn how to read. After a few days of attending she is not so anxious about it.
She came home from school to show me some of her art. Her class was learning about apples and had made a pattern with red and green apples. She showed it to me and said "Look, I made a patren!"
I quickly replied, "A what???" She says - "A patren" I said, "it's beautiful... but it's called a pattern." " No, my teacher said it was a patren!"

Oh boy. As if learning how to read isn't hard enough... now we have to translate things into English from Southern talk.
The other day she came home and was telling me how a boy in her class was "chasing on her". It took me a minute to figure this out. "You mean chasing you", I asked? For some reason here in the south if something is happening to you it is happening "ON YOU".
What is that about?
For example the phrase "hitting on you". In the north that means someone is flirting here in the south it is literal.
I went to her school last week as a helper for a few hours. I was sent to a room dedicated to preping teachers materials... copiers, paper cutters, and the like. I was asked to cut out birthday cakes. Ironic that the cake decorator goes to school to cut out birthday cakes. They needed around 8000 cakes cut out. I knocked out a chunk but not all. :)
I don't know if you've ever seen King of the Hill, but there is a character on their named Boomhauer. It is difficult to hear what he is saying since he speaks with a heavy Southern accent.
As I sat cutting paper cakes the janitor entered the room. I'll be darned if he was speaking English. I couldn't understand a word he said to the other women in the room. Sounded like Boomhauer to me.
We will see if we can escape Tennessee unscathed.

4 comments:

Camilla said...

Glad to see you putting your stories up for us! I bet learning southern speak wasn't on your list of "to-do's", eh? How funny! Bethany is loving kindergarten too. You'll have to figure out how to get pics up here too. The other day when I asked Bethany if she remembered Mercedes, she shook her head... need something to jog her memory.
take care.

Candace said...

I'm telling you - you need to write a book! I love reading your emails you send out about your kids/where you live, etc. They almost always have a good chuckle in there. Have no fear - all of the south speaks like that. :)

Britt-Marie said...

ha! loved the stories! hilarious! put some pics up when you can, I want to see how your little ones have grown. I know Benjamin is the same age as Ellie, but to me he's still a 10 month old scooting around in a walker.

The Munk Family said...

You crack me up! Your poor kids will need some time to de-southernize after you are done in TN. But then if you move somewhere international with the army, they will really get confused. Keep up the blog, I love it!

Followers