
I should be given the award for World's Worst Mother. I earned it yesterday.
I almost ran over my 3 year old.
How do you ask? Well, lets start at the very beginning...
Imagine, a sunny day in Johnson City. I am released from work for 2 hours so that I can stay at home with Benji while Aaron attends his afternoon class at Emmanuel. Aaron met me at the front of the school with Benji.
The distance from the school to our house is pretty minimal. Not worth making a kid get in their car seat and buckling all the buckles right? Hmmm.
The drive is really like a long driveway- and it's not on a main road or anything... What could it hurt?
(I'm trying to justify actions... help me out here.)
So, I let Benji sit in the passengers seat in the front. The fastest we go is maybe 15mph... Not too bad, right?
So, driving along, 3 year old in front, playing with the dials, pushing the buttons (we've done this a couple times). I go around the corner of our apartment and am getting ready to park the car when his door FLIES open.
I freaked and reached over to grab him, but all I caught was his coat and that slipped right out of my fingers. He didn't actually fall out of the car until I stomped on the brakes and he landed on his hands and knees, very shaken and scared.
I felt/feel so horrible about this. He is totally fine and doesn't have a scratch on him... he'll probably just need therapy for this one in 20 years.
I should have remembered that he likes to open doors. The door next to his car seat is locked with child lock since he has opened it before (in his car seat that time) while we were driving.
Anyways. I have never felt so horrible in my life. I think I'll buckle him in and make him wear a helmet while he's in the back seat from now on.
Benji is showing tendencies to be my most accident prone child yet. He crawled up a flight of concrete stairs (Mercedes left the door open to our apartment) and was found by a neighbor at 10 months old. I had no idea he had left. I was cleaning the bathroom and had left him playing on the floor in the living room, only to get a knock on my front door with the neighbor holding my baby.
He got into my closet in Memphis and found my sewing box and proceeded to munch on my sewing needles. (None ingested thankfully, but I found 3 in his mouth.)
He ate part of a bottle of dog shampoo (Thank God for poison control!).
The list goes on...
We'll see if he makes it to adulthood.
1 comment:
Maybe he just has Dysart characteristics. Neil used to open car doors while the vehicle was in motion. The only time I can remember is we are in Sister Michaud's car and she is driving on 405 over by the zoo area. Neil is probably Benji's age. She is going 50 mph. Neil opens the door. James luckily caught him. It could have ended much differently. Mom and Dad were house hunting in VA at the time I believe.
As for the most recent post - again sounds like something your older brother (Neil) would do. :) Except his form of entertainment was taking matches to bed when he was supposed to be taking naps. Mom (Utah mom) found him once with matches in bed (ask about the very nice scar on his leg). I think Mom (OR mom) found him with matches at least once as well. Sounds like Benji is on the right track to me!
Post a Comment