Saturday, November 14, 2009

More proof...

So, just to prove that Benji is almost as accident prone as I was a child, here is a classic example from 45 minutes ago.
Normally we put the kids down at the same time. Tonight however, I decided to let Mercedes finish the movie we were watching and I put Benji down since he wasn't interested in it anyways.
About 5 minutes after I put him down he came out of his bedroom screaming and holding his eye.
I held him for a minute thinking he had an eyelash in his eye that was irritating it. He was so upset I couldn't get a look at his eye. (I had sent Aaron off for man-time since he had been with the kids all day).
We sat on his bed and I tried to gently massage the eye area towards his tear duct getting whatever was in it out.
He was happy with that for a moment or two, then began screaming again. I took him into the bathroom and put a cold wash cloth on it (which he screamed about). Once I got him calmed down about that, I asked him what he hurt his eye on.
He took me back to his bed and showed me a glowstick bracelet that he had gotten for Halloween. (I thought I trashed all those last week!)
Well...
The poor kid had cracked it open and some of the ooze got in his eye!
I had a container of glowsticks that I had in my closet from some random activity and I read the ingredients label. Fortunately the ingredients are non-toxic but irritating to the eye if you are unfortunate enough to get it in your eye.
Recommendation? Rinse the eye.
Have you ever rinsed the eye of a three year old?

Ha.
It's more like needing to don protective sports wear (an umpire outfit comes to mind) and barring bystanders (Mercedes) from watching the proceedings.
After a minute or two of gently wiping his eye with handfuls of water and avoiding kicks to my abdomen, we dried the area with a towel and all was well.
I told him the sticks were yucky (technically stick... I hope there are no more, we'll hunt tomorrow) and that they were garbage now.
He fell asleep pretty quickly after that episode.
Every day seems to be an adventure with this kid. :)

No comments:

Followers