I'm writing this post more for memories sake than anything else.
First, I must paint a picture for you so you might understand the history of it all.
I've not been feeling very well today. Aaron and I were messing around yesterday (it was clean - sheesh) and entertaining the kids. Aaron thought it would make them laugh if he gave me a piggyback ride. They did laugh... and I of course (why oh why?!?) gave one to him as well. It was all fine and dandy until I woke up this morning and realized it was a major mistake. My back hurts REALLY bad now, and on top of it, I have an upset stomach.. so I've been loafing on the couch most of the day.
The day has been slow and lazyish... with spats of children fighting and crying, sometimes laughing, but today it seems like mostly whining and crying. Mercedes didn't have school today due to cold weather. I've never heard of school closing due to cold weather but I guess it does happen. It was a beautiful clear day outside but since it was only 10° out there we stayed indoors.
So cabin fever had set in. The kids were restless, Mom and Dad were starting to feel their eyeballs twitch. We sent the kids upstairs to play in their room and we were enjoying the quiet hum of the refrigerator in the kitchen. 10 minutes passed.
Then it happened.
Mercedes came downstairs completely soaked. My first thought was, "Did she get in the bath? I didn't hear any water running..." And she says "Mom, You have GOT to see what Benji did!"
Aaron and I run upstairs (okay.. I hobbled. Bad back, ya know) and yes, indeed, there is water everywhere. It had soaked into the carpet by this point, but it covered the hall upstairs, their bedroom floor, up part of the walls, toys in their bedroom were now holding water, and the bathroom counter, toilet, and floor had water all over.
What did I feel?? Hmmm...Disbelief? Shock? Horror at having to do the laundry again so soon from all the towels I was going to have to use to sop this mess up? There was a moment when Aaron and I locked eyes over the whole mess and in that way that only parents can communicate silently, we said "We must not laugh now, this is serious, they are in trouble".
They you ask? Why are they in trouble? Well, even though Mercedes claims no part in the water caper and did the right thing by coming and telling us that Benji had poured water all over the upstairs carpet, if you could have seen the damage (not literal damage... this is all fixable with some towels) you would have known that she watched it happen for some time, got herself completely soaked as well (from head to toe) and THEN came and said something.
To end an already long day we put the kids to bed right then. It was an hour before their bedtime, but this act warranted it. We laugh about it now a few hours later.
No pictures this time. We needed to clean it up asap. :)
2 comments:
This is too funny! Maybe they are in cahoots with Michael. He thought the dryer hose that leads outside needed a good wash. When he was 4. We are lucky the dryer didn't catch on fire.
I did something similar once when I decided it would be fun to turn the shower stall into a bathtub/water park for my barbies. Good times!
Post a Comment