Thursday, January 8, 2009

Got Mold?

It's Wednesday. Mercedes has a dance class that I take her to. I'd say it's a mommy/daughter bonding time, but it's really not. I sit there in the waiting room and wait. For 1 1/2 hours. Boring, really. I get to watch her through a window that has a mirror on her side so she can't see me. Sometimes she presses her nose up against the glass to try and see me through the glass. Other times I see her looking my way and I think she sees me, but then I realize that she's really just looking at herself in the mirror and admiring her reflection.

I usually entertain myself with a book. I don't know many of the other moms and they seem to know each other pretty well, so I feel sort of like a third wheel whenever I make any comments. So today, as I was reading, I began to get the munchies. I had packed a little baggie of crackers for Mercedes and I, and I began to eat.

Have you ever read that book "When You Give a Mouse a Cookie?" Well... if you give Becky crackers... She's going to want some water to go with it.
I thought I was pretty smart, so I decide to take a drink from Mercedes' water bottle as it was right next to me. After all, I just sat down and got comfortable and I really don't want to get up and walk across the gym to go find the drinking fountain.
I was so proud of myself for having filled her water bottle with nice clean filtered water from the fridge before we left and now I was going to drink some.

I popped the cap off and took a drink while I was reading. Something was wrong. It smelled... Musty? Old? It even tasted odd. I thought "Hmmm, I just filled this up, that's weird..." and then I LOOKED at the cap. Under the cap, was a healthy specimen of mold growing and I had just put my mouth on it. Not just on it, but OVER it. I wanted to barf.

Too late, the water was already in my stomach. I realized how this happened. Mercedes has had two weeks off of dance class due to the Christmas break. Her water bottle has been sitting in her dance bag for the past two weeks promoting the mold growth that I was introduced to this afternoon. When I filled it with new water I never even considered opening up the flip-lid to check that part out. Guess that's what I get.
The only consolation I have is that she didn't drink any. Moral of the story? Always check under the lid.

3 comments:

Carrie said...

Thanks for the public service announcement lol. Ewwwww...just ewwww. I will ALWAYS check under the lid from now on.

Britt-Marie said...

bleh! lol very gross, but I had to laugh picturing you there wanting to barf. Yes, kids sippy cups & water bottles seem to intentionally made with lots of crevices and hard to reach places that you can never get clean and start to grow things.

Candace said...

Oh dear. Thanks for the warning! :)

Followers