Saturday, January 17, 2009

Burn Baby Burn

I know you all think I'm a genius in the kitchen but I need help. I decided to play Orville Redenbacher the other day, and make homemade popcorn. Love that smell of popcorn...

Here's the thing. Whilst I was being domestic, I had children underfoot. Fighting with each other actually. This resulted in me burning the bottom inch of popcorn. Now my pan is ruined. Or maybe this is where you can help me. I've tried scrubbing it. It has soaked overnight... two nights, actually. I've used SOS pads, I've tried boiling it, I've tried a combo of peroxide and baking soda and water and dish soap, tried a Cream of Tartar concoction and the burnt on kernal pieces are not giving up.
Any ideas out there? Please help. This is my one and only big sized pasta boiling, potato boiling, soup making, popcorn ruining, applesauce, you name it pot. I've had it for 8 years and it is a vital part of my life, please don't tell me that we have come to the end of our relationship.

And for the record, don't lift a lid off of a pot that has had boiling vinegar in it and look to see if your stuff has boiled off yet. Vinegar fumes are hard on the eyes.

4 comments:

Candace said...

The only thing I can tell you is let it soak for several days. Using a regular kitchen knife (like for PB &J) gently scrape off the burnt pieces.

Candace said...

Thanks for the vinegar tip. I will now know not to try looking while I have vinegar boiling.

By the way. Why were you boiling vinegar in the first place?

Becky said...

Another hint I read... supposedly boiling vinegar and letting it sit can help too.

Britt-Marie said...

i can't think of anything. but if you discover something let us know. good luck

Followers