Friday, November 14, 2008

Learning to read

As most of you know, Mercedes has started kindergarten this year. She loves it and all of the activities they do.
However, the one thing that I truly despise is the fact that they tell her she can read. She cannot read. She memorizes, then they call that reading.
To me reading is learning what the sounds say and then putting them together. Not just memorizing the way a word looks and then recalling what that "picture" is supposed to read as. I have been careful to not tell her that she can't read and rather than upset her, have started using a program with her that my mom used when she home schooled us many years ago.
(Thanks mom.)
So far she has enjoyed learning that letters make more than one sound and was even upset when we didn't go over her letters/sounds last night (we've been doing them every night).
It's been difficult listening to her version of reading, which is simply memorizing the script or lines in a book. To me, that is an unacceptable way of teaching a child to read and I will not stand idly by as it happens to my child. We will fix this if I have to teach her myself.

2 comments:

Candace said...

Welcome to the world of "edyoukation". lol We make our kids sound out the letters to each word. They hated it (michael still does) but it works.

Rob and Marseille said...

someone told me about a book that works on sounding out the letters in words called "how to read in 100 lessons" or something like that. I've got it on hold at the library and going to check it out.

Followers