Saturday, November 1, 2008

Got Asphalt?

So I was being nice, right? I told my neighbor Evie that I'd watch her son David in the afternoon when he got home from school. It was a one time thing, ya know... just doing a favor. David is 8 I think and seems to be a pretty active kid. Not hyper-type, but enjoys physical activity. I told the kids we could go outside and play. David had a soccer ball that he wanted to kick around and he wanted Mercedes to pass it back and forth with him. Mercedes was not very coordinated with it (it was her first time playing with a soccer ball I think) and so I decided to step in and show him my soccer prowess. (Ahem, it has been a full 20 years since I have been a soccer player.)
So anyways, I completely ignore the fact that I haven't kicked a soccer ball in forever and decide to show off. I was quite proud of myself. I kicked the ball and I launched it! It went so far the poor kid had to run for a bit to get it. We kicked it back and forth for about 15-20 minutes. Then it happened. I went to kick the ball and for whatever reason, I missed, and kicked the asphalt as hard as I could (not realizing of course that I was going to be kicking aspahlt.). OUCH. It was like a rippling effect in my foot. Well, I stopped playing momentarily and took my shoe off to look at it. It seemed okay... just really hurt. So, being the smartest woman ever, I continued to play soccer, complicating my pain I later found out.
By that night it hurt so bad I couldn't walk. So, yesterday I went to the doctor and had it looked at. They wanted to take x-rays to make sure it wasn't broken, and thankfully it wasn't. Instead I have "a wicked foot sprain" to quote the Dr.

Aaron says I am not allowed to play sports for fear of injury to myself or others. He is right of course... I am not very athletically inclined. My talents are other things. :)

So, a word to the wise. 1. When playing soccer play in a field... not in a parking lot with asphalt. or better yet DON'T KICK THE ASPHALT!! It doesn't move.

4 comments:

Candace said...

Oh my. Aaron does have a point though! Hope you feel better soon. Poor foot. :(

Millie said...

Awwww. We're kindred foot spirits. I broke mine last July but alas, I have no cool "I kicked a soccer ball" story...

Man, it hurt... I feel for you.

I'm the same way with sports - "my talents lie elsewhere." :)

wendij said...

That was an awesome story!! Hope you feel better soon.

Sherril Salts Dysart said...

This reminds me of when I did the "donkey kick" in the RS kitchen when you had your YW dinner project and I threw my back out~Get better soon!

Followers