Imagine in your mind that you are at our dinner table. There we are, happily eating tortellini and garlic bread, the children asking for more juice (a no-no unless they have eaten a good portion of their meal), and the usual clinking of forks.
Mercedes tells me she is done. I tell her to take a few more bites. She takes one and tells me she is full. I concede and tell her she can get down. She then asks for more bread. I ask her how she can be hungry for more if she just said she was full?
She says never mind and hops away. (As only Mercedes can hop)
A few minutes pass. She goes to the bathroom and starts HOWLING in pain. I run in there, to find her crying and telling me her stomach hurts sooo bad. In my mind I'm thinking worst case scenario... appendicitis. She then tells me that this is MY fault because I made her take one last bite.
It is then that she says she is going to throw up. She doesn't (thankfully) and then she starts talking about her friend that made her eat an onion a few months ago (they grow wild out here) and then she threw up later that day.
It is then that an idea enters my head. Could she have eaten something outside today? I ask her if she did. She looks at me guiltily, letting me know that she did. I start naming off the things that grow outside wild. Onions? no. Strawberries? no. Mushrooms? A squeak. What was that?? Did you eat a mushroom? I then get "the look" again, with a "Will you be mad at me?" I told her that I wouldn't be mad, but I needed to know the truth.
She and I went outside to find out what sort of mushroom it was and unfortunately, she ate the last one so I have no clue what it looks like.
She said it was brown with black spots on it.
Great.
I called Poison Control. They said she could suffer from severe abdominal pain for the next 24 hours with possible vomiting and diarrhea. She could suffer from hallucinations as well. They said to take her to the doctor if she becomes dehydrated.
The weird thing is I JUST talked to her about eating mushrooms outside. I told her to never eat them. She said she ate this one because it looked good and she wanted to try it.
I told her that some are very poisonous and could kill her. We are only allowed to eat mushrooms that come from the store!
Hopefully she will stop now. With any luck there will be no hallucinations tonight.
7 comments:
You lead an interesting life. At least Mercedes does enough adventurous stuff for the whole family. :)
lucky you!
Any hallucinations last night?
how's she doing?
Hallucinations... Hmmm. Does it count if I had one? I woke up and she was in my bed. (Aaron has been confined to the couch for a month due to his broken leg.)
So far so good.(Yay!) She seems to be doing great and has been running around all day.
My goodness, how scary. I'm so glad she's OK!
I used to pick wild mushrooms in Wisconsin growing up. The were about as big as a saucer and were red with light tan spots on them. I NEVER felt tempted to eat one, but I do understand the excitement of finding wild things outside and playing around with them. (I know, she really got them shrooms from Aaron's stock in the fridgerator!)
Post a Comment