Sunday, February 1, 2009

Mormon jargon

As I sat in church today, I started to hear phrases that are often used in our meetings.



Someone in our testimony meeting knew something "beyond a shadow of a doubt". What exactly does that mean... a shadow of a doubt?

Let's see. A doubt has a shadow... or smaller than a doubt of a shadow? Or beyond the thought that the shadow has a doubt? Or they doubt that the shadow has a beyond?

I'm confused.



How about "nourish and strengthen our bodies" when praying over food? Were we expecting it to do something else? Isn't that sort of saying the same thing twice? And I like that we pray that desserts are going to "nourish and strengthen our bodies".

We pray that "no harm or accident befall us". I'm wondering what the difference between harm AND accident is. It's like some sort of fine print that you don't really read - but you say this just to cover ALL the bases. One of those... Just in case instances.

Moisture. We are thankful for moisture. It could be raining cats and dogs and we would still say "moisture". Moisture to me is a fine mist - not a storm.

We pray for "the hands that prepared this meal". The rest of the body doesn't count? Hmmm.

I've just been listening to some of the things we say and find humor in it.

Anybody else out there noticed?

6 comments:

Carrie said...

It absolutely drives me CRAZY when people thank Heavenly Father for moisture! Why not say "thanks for the rain, snow etc." What is with the generic prayer phrases? Are we not specifically warned against saying repetitive prayers?

Nice to know that I am not the only person who notices these things.

Britt-Marie said...

LOL yeah. I agree. I've tried to avoid that while teaching Eleanor to pray, but I start saying long phrases that she can't keep up with. I guess short repetitive phrases like "make us strong and healthy" are easy for kids to remember. Although she usually says it as "strong and happy." hehe

The Munk Family said...

I've always wondered about blessing the "hands that prepared the food" too. How about my feet or my back that endured the standing up while cooking the food? And what about asking for us to be blessed with safety on the way to our next destination...after the first hour of church? Is someone planning an ambush on my way to Sunday School?!

Candace said...

Well Becky. I don't know what to say...shadows and doubts and moisture and bodies and harm. I think you covered all the bases! lol

Camilla said...

In my Nutrition class at BYU, my teacher brought up the same thing... about foods that nourish and strengthen us in actuality, and what we pray for. Perhaps a blessing that we might enjoy the oh-so-fattening-oh-so-delicious foods that we pray over?

Sherril Salts Dysart said...

You guys crack me up! It never occurred to me to nit pick with prayers that we say. I always thought we were supposed to be reverent when prayer is being said. LOL
Now having said that, I think we have all contributed to the Mormon Jargon dilemma. Your comments make me think.

Followers