Thursday, December 10, 2009

All I want for Christmas is my one front tooth...

Mercedes lost one of her bottom teeth last Sunday morning. She had been begging us to pull it out (usually right at bedtime to delay going to bed) for days and finally pulled it out herself Sunday morning before church.
She was pretty excited about it and claimed that it didn't hurt one little bit. Then she started up on her "I want to get my ears pierced" tangent (we the parents are debating this)
stating that she wasn't bothered by getting her tooth pulled and if she could withstand the pain of that she could stand getting her ears pierced.
She received flu shots the following day, further pointing out that she didn't cry or squirm, and
still stating that she could stand getting her ears pierced. She even sat still to let Aaron pop a little pimple on her nose, proving once again that she felt she should be able to get her ears pierced.
So, she does have a point, but I'm not sure she's ready. For me it's mostly the lack of personal hygiene that she has (not consistently washing her face) which makes me wonder if she's up to the task of taking care of her ears properly.
But I digress, as is normal in my posts.

Back to the original title...
As I mentioned, Mercedes lost a tooth
Sunday morning.
She currently has three other loose teeth in her mouth. Her two front teeth (one more wiggly than the other) and another becoming loose on the bottom.
The problem with the loose teeth on top is that neither of them are anywhere near ready to come out. The one that is more loose is moving around, but still very attached.
Which brings us to this post.
Imagine if you will, my two little angels playing quietly in their bedroom.
No? You can't imagine it?
Okay, here's how it went down.
Mom and Dad are watching a movie downstairs. Kids are playing/jumping/wrestling/being animals in their bedroom.
Mercedes comes down and says, "Benji kicked me in the face and he could have hurt my tooth", to which I say, "Why is he kicking you?"
Benji, even though a boy, usually doesn't act out unless provoked. She of course denies any fault and skips back up the stairs.
10 minutes pass.
Wails similar to air raid horns erupt from the upstairs.
Aaron and I look at each other and I say, "Looks like we have some drama going on".
We pause the movie and meet Mercedes running down the stairs with blood flowing out of her mouth. All I hear is "WAHHHHHHHHH, Benji!!, WAHHHHHH, kicked!! WAHHHHHHHHHHHH, MEEEEEEEEEE!
After calming her down a little, we find that her stinker of a brother kicked her in the mouth (they were laying on the floor next to each other when he started flailing his legs in all directions) and kicked out the wiggly top front tooth.
YOUCH!

I felt so bad for her. I took her to the bathroom and had her rinse out her mouth and put a cold wash cloth on her gum.
I think Benji was a little disturbed when we showed him the tooth that he kicked out of her mouth. I'm not sure if he realized teeth come out and I think he felt pretty bad after that.
Oh well.
The lesson we have learned is not to play rough. Hopefully it will stick for a few more years.





















I never thought kids with missing front teeth were very cute until I had one of my own. :)

2 comments:

Candace said...

Hmmmmm. Not sure if being kicked in the mouth or crashing a bike is the way to lose front teeth! lol Nephi and Mercedes should have a teeth knocking out contest. :) He crashed his bike back in July and knocked 3 teeth loose - 2 of which came out in the 2 following weeks. It's now 4 months later. One tooth chose to make an appearance. IF it takes a while for the permanent to come in....don't worry. It will. As we are finding out. We'll be the guinna pigs for you. :)

Britt-Marie said...

It's a good thing it was one that needed to come out. I guess I'll just have to wait for this kind of think to happen at our house. I keep telling Eleanor she needs to be an example of being nice so Gregory doesn't beat up on her one day (like she does him right now).

Followers