Saturday, August 29, 2009

Even the moths are bigger out here...

As a child I read a book called "Bugs Bunny Marooned".

Basically it's about poor Bugs Bunny who gets stuck on an island with a mad scientist that does experimenting and makes things larger than they normally would be. In the end Bugs is rewarded by finding a giant sized carrot or something like that.

In my case, this moth that Mercedes brought in that she found outside (dead, of course) is my own version of the story. The bugs truly are bigger out here. (Granted, this is the first moth of this magnitude I have seen... but I have seen some abnormally large spiders, crickets, cicadas, caterpillars, and other creepy crawlies.

This thing is HUGE! As you can see in the picture, I have placed a standard pencil on the counter so you have something to gauge its wingspan with. I told her to take it to school with her the next day. It kept staring at me while I was making dinner, and I just can't have dead insects staring at me while I cook. At least not ones this big.


So, Behold, the GIANT MOTH!!

Go ahead. Go find a pencil and see how big it would be!
Mercedes' first grade teacher was very impressed with it and asked if she could keep it in class for a few days. I told her she could keep it as long as she liked... (indefinitely is good too). The last thing I need is to have Mercedes playing with this thing in her doll house and then letting me find bits of it's wings all over the place. (YUCK!)

4 comments:

Carrie said...

This is crazy! A month ago we found a moth that big too here in PA. Maybe they are radioactive?

Candace said...

That thing is huge! I saw some pretty big creatures in TX - but am sure I haven't seen a motb that big! Maybe Mercedes want to be a studier of insects?

Rob and Marseille said...

Sick...I'm staying in the west

Sherril Salts Dysart said...

When Joe was about 4 or 5 he was awake late one night and of course I was up with him. We had the window in the living room open and the lights were on. Out of nowhere we saw what we thought was a bird. It was a moth just like the one you have here! It was giant and we had to chase it all over the kitchen and living room before we got it back to put outside the window. Joe was pretty amazed and I almost freaked out because of its size. Cool!

Followers