Sunday, March 28, 2010

Palm Sunday


I'd be a hypocrite if I didn't at least mention Palm Sunday today.
Last week I was asked to give a talk on Palm Sunday, and it saddens me that our religion doesn't focus on Holy Week so much. I won't post the talk because it was LONG (15 minutes of talking...) but if you want to read it I'll email it to you.
At any rate, our family went to another church this morning to celebrate Palm Sunday (and boy did they celebrate it!) and learn more about it first hand.
Mercedes was very intrigued about the palm fronds that everyone held (the service started outside) and she thought it was cool when some people that played trumpets sounded their horns (representing Christ coming into the city).
It was a really neat experience and I'm glad that she was able to enjoy it. I look forward to teaching her more about the reason for Easter this week. I'd like continue the tradition of the Easter Bunny, but I think I might move it to a different day - perhaps the Saturday before Easter or the weekend after rather than have it confused with Easter itself.
I am hoping to make it to a sunrise service next Sunday (we'll see if I wake up on time) and take the family to that service as well.
When Aaron and I were at BYU we were able to attend a Seder Dinner a few times, and I hope to make that part of our spring traditions as well, but am waiting for the kids to get a little older so that they understand it. Perhaps I should invite other families to attend so that it can be a tradition earlier.

2 comments:

Britt-Marie said...

That's really neat. I'd love to read your talk (email it to me). I was just talking to a friend today (she's catholic) about all the stuff that goes on at church this week. She asked if I was sad that we as Latterday Saints wouldn't even be attending church on Easter since it's general conference (of course I didn't say how nice it is to have a week of from 3 hours of meetings ;) I told her how cool it is we get to hear from the prophet and how there will surely be talks about the atonement and easter. But I would like to incorporate some more religious traditions into our Easter celebrations too.

Millie said...

What neat traditions you're using! This is inspiring!

Followers