Sunday, January 10, 2010

Pregnancy Week 25!


Many have requested a picture of me pregnant, so here you go.

This pregnancy has been pretty easy compared to other women's horror stories of birthdom.
The only complications I seem to be having are from the blood transfusion I received after Benjamin's birth 3 1/2 years ago.
Apparently, when you are given a blood transfusion they try to make it match your blood type the best they can, but no two people have identical blood (with the same proteins and antigens and all that) so they do the best they can with what they have.
I was given blood with some different proteins, and who knew, but that stays with you from then on out.
So, they have had to make sure that my blood is compatible with the baby's and Aaron. I've had to redo many blood tests (because of incompetent lab technicians and because blood tests are not 100% accurate).
So for now everything is fine and dandy, there are no signs of any complications (other than a big baby) the blood tests that I have taken have turned out fine. They just want to keep running them periodically to make sure it stays that way. Yay for needles.
The Dr. would like to see me not gain much weight with this pregnancy (I'm a little on the fluffy side to begin with). I've gained 8 pounds so far... all of it appears to be in my belly.
During my last ultrasound the baby weighed in (who knew they could figure out the baby's weight during an ultrasound?!?) at 1lb. 15oz. The "norm" for 25 weeks is 1 1/2lbs. So, he's about a 1/2 lb. over where he "should" be. Mercedes was 8lbs 4oz, Benji 8lbs 15oz, and I really really hope this one doesn't break 9, but I guess we'll see.
Like I said, I've only gained 8 lbs with this one so far... so I don't know where he's getting it all from. I'd gained at least 20 at this point with Benji and Mercedes, so I figure I'm doing pretty good.
Just so you don't get me wrong, I understand that you need to gain weight during pregnancy, but I'm afraid of having a big' ol' baby (like Benji) because he was born so fast and I hemorrhaged badly... it made for a bad experience. I was actively pushing Mercedes out for 2 1/2 hours and Benji I pushed for about 5-10 minutes. I'm not built for big babies, so seeing that he's big in the ultrasounds is a little disconcerting.
Oh well. I guess I'll just have to make sure I'm near a hospital next April and that he doesn't get too big.

3 comments:

Candace said...

IF you really think this baby will be bigger....I would seriously consider a c-section with this one. I don't think the Dysart women were built for big babies. When I had Michael - he got stuck and was an emergency c-section. I ended up with about 20 stitches down below that got infected and another 40 staples on my abdomen. They should have just done the c-section to begin with. Just a thought. :)

Carrie said...

Ultrasound estimation of weight is notoriously inaccurate. A week and a half before R was born they estimated her weight at nearly 9 lbs. She was just under 8 at birth. I know a lot of women who have had this same thing happen since ultrasound technicians seem to over-estimate. A lot of these women ended up having unnecessary c-sections.

This sounds cliche but I am all for letting the spirit, not fear, guide these kinds of decisions. If you feel that the spirit is pointing you in the direction of a necessary c-section then definitely talk with your Dr. about it.

Here is a link about ultrasound accuracy: http://prenatal-health.suite101.com/article.cfm/ultrasound_and_weight_of_baby

Rob and Marseille said...

when we have our third, I'm nervous about the shoulders...Michael was a close call. (course they won't all have his body type will they? some will be skinny like Christopher, right?)

Followers